Monday, February 13, 2012

Ombre Rose Cake


A big 50th birthday party deserves a special cake for
a special person.  

When my friend Rachel who was ready to turn the big
five - oh
saw a picture of a cake my daughter had made
she said, "Make me that for my birthday," so
we decided to deliver!


These beautiful ombre rosette cakes are all over
the internet.  My daughter Jessica had shown me
a picture of one she had made and said it was a lot
easier than she had thought so I asked her to come over
and help out for Rachel's surprise birthday lunch.

I made two batches of cake batter.  I was in a hurry
that morning so I used my favorite cake mix -
Betty Crocker's French Vanilla. 
 I love how moist and how flavorful it is. You
can use your favorite white or vanilla cake recipe but
for a high cake, make two batches.  You need this
cake to be high. 

I scooped out 2 cups of batter into 3 bowls and
left one and colored the other two shades of pink.
(Use remaining batter to make a couple of cupcakes.)

HINT: to make your cakes rise more evenly and
remove from the pan easily, cut parchment paper to
fit in the bottom of your pan and don't grease or flour
anything!  When the cake is baked, let it cool 10 minutes
and then run a sharp knife around the edge to loosen it.
Turn it upside down on a cooling rack.  It will come
out perfectly.  Now let it cool before removing the
parchment paper.  EASY!


I made 3 batches of frosting.  One I left plain to fill and
frost the cake with a crumb coat.

The other two batches were divided between 4 bowls
and using red food coloring, I made each batch just
slightly darker than the last one.  The palest one
took just a dot of gel food coloring.

Place your bag with the tip inserted into it in
a glass.  Fold the top down and fill with frosting.
This makes it much easier to fill your bag.
I love to use Wilton's disposable bags.

Frosting Recipe
(To frost this cake, you will need to triple this recipe.)

3/4 C. soft butter
4 C. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
pinch salt
3-4 T. water or milk
(I usually use water, Jessica uses milk.  We
did milk this time.  You can also use cream.)

Place everything in a mixing bowl but the water.
Add 3 T. liquid and begin beating with a wire whip.
Add additional liquid if needed.
Adjust the liquid based on the humidity where
you live.  Here in the west we need more liquid.
The frosting should be stiff enough to pipe 
out but not so soft that it won't hold it's shape.


Fill the layers of cake then use bamboo skewers to hold the 
layers in place.  Cut them off to the right height and insert
3 into the middle of the cake.  This will keep your cake from
sliding.

Cover the outside of the cake with a crumb coat or a thin
layer of frosting.

Place the cake in a fridge to firm up the icing.


Staring with the palest shade and using a 2D tip you will
make your roses by starting in the center and making
a complete circle.  You can also use a 1 M.
Don't worry if each rose doesn't
look perfect, when you finish, the overall effect is
beautiful.  Each row of roses matched the size of the
layers.

I refrigerated my cake in between layers so the 
roses would be firm and not slide.


Finish by making the fourth and final layer of roses
and covering the top.  You can fill in any holes by piping
using this same tip.

Place cake in fridge.  The weight of the frosting can cause
the lowest layer of rosettes to get crushed so you want
to keep the frosting firm.  Keep refrigerated
until time to serve.




The cake was a great success and I agree, it
was easier to frost than I thought.  Thanks Jessica
for the help!

Happy 50th Rachel!
(We met at a restaurant and surprised her with 50 balloons.)
There were 14 of us there and we each wrote down 3 things
we love about Rachel 
and then read them out loud.  Rachel
gets to keep the notecards.  What a lovely way to celebrate
someone's birthday.  It has been a tradition in our home
for years to go around the table and tell three things you love
about that person.  It is a nice addition to write them down.


I will be sharing this on



Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Chocolat - French for Chocolate. I adored chocolate from a young age when I had to sneak in the cupboard to find where my mother had hidden the Nestle's Chocolate Chips. Having read about the famous chocolat shoppes in Paris, when I finally got there I was determined to try a chocolate from every Paris shoppe. I invite you to share my adventures in creating, in travel, and in life.

67 comments:

  1. Omg, it's just tooooo pretty to eat, I'm with Jenny pin it.....
    Wishing you a very Happy Valentines Day....

    Smiles~
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great tutorial and a beautiful cake. The tips you used... is 2D a Wilton tip or an Ateco tip. I can't wait to try this one. I have seen so many of these beautiful roses and have been wanting to do one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cake! I bet it tasted as good as it looked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous cake! I'm sure she was delighted and surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly?? I can't think of anything more glorious than this cake! It's truly beautiful! anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cake! I stand in awe of your amazing talents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....this cake is gorgeous! Not sure that mine would come out looking like your beautiful one, but I think I want to try this...What a perfect day (tomorrow) to try it out.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the step-by-step details -- what a wonderful birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel is lucky to have a close group of friends to help celebrate her 50th BD. The cake you and your daughter made is incredible and worthy of the special occasion that it was made for.
    You know that everyone's going to want the same cake now, don't you?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG... this is gorgeous!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake could be a card:)
    one day i will try..saw a very cute bag holder by Wilton..for the disposbles.. Your cake looks so beautiful..probably my favoritest yet!

    You know what? someone special gave me the little set of silicone tea cups:) Never even knew I had admired yours..
    What a nice friendship you have:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um Yum! You definitely need to share this on Pink Saturday this weekend.

    Happy Birthday to Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this! I can't believe you and your daughter did this beauty!
    I'd like to link to my blog.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, that is one gorgeous cake! Your friend is one lucky birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, I love it! The ombre effect is so cool!! I need to find a reason to make one of these rose cakes soon.

    Bravo!!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect way to celebrate a BIG birthday. Great ideas for your great friend! How long did it take to complete after the cake was baked? Just wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To answer how long - I got up and baked and cooled the cake and asked her to be here at 10:00. As soon as I got a bowl colored and in the bag she was ready for another color, so it didn't take longer than 30 minutes, if that to frost.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous! Will you make one for my 50th??? Oh wait... that already happened:@)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, seriously gorgeous!!! I could NEVER make that! Just beautiful! XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, Jacqueline, that cake is TO-DIE-FOR!! You did a fabulous job & I know your friend must've loved every single bite!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That IS a smashing looking cake! I would like to try this with the girls! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a gorgeous cake, Jacqueline. I like how even the cake is ombre colored. You gave your freind a very memorable 50th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My birthday's in November...hint...hint. Seriously, this is one gorgeous cake! You're friend is truly blessed. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  24. Umm....I'm speechless! WOW! I can't wait to make that cake! You are absolutely incredible Queen Jaqueline! This cake is stunning! I bet it was a fun party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love how the cake turned out. Looks like we did both have the same idea. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That cake is stunning! How lucky your friend is to have such a great group of girlfriends.
    You are truly one talented girl!
    Happy Valentines.
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jacqueline, not sure if I have the skills to make one of these, but it would be perfect for my friends birthday. She loves roses! I'm going to give this a try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have MAD baking & decorating skills! What a gorgeous cake~ from the pretty in pink tinted layers to those to beautiful piped roses of frosting...

    *dreamy pink sigh*

    Happy Valentine's Day & Happy Birthday Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This cake is breathtaking what a beautiful job. I could never do that at all. I am jealous of the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have GOT to be kidding me. This is GORGEOUS!!! I'm dying to try this!! Holy smokes you are so talented, girl!!

    Jessi from Hopes and Dreams
    cherishinghopesanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful cake! Thanks for the step by step instructions. I'm not sure I'd ever be brave enough to try it but I enjoyed seeing how you did it. Amazing!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!!! I've never seen anything so beautiful. You make it look so eary, is it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I made an ombre cake today using your instructions. I made for a Ladies Bible Study class and all the ladies thought it was too beautiful to eat. It was super moist. Thanks for sharing.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh your cake is gorgeous! I'd love to invite you to share this with my readers at a party that I have going on at Projectqueen.org!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How lucky to have a friend like you. What a lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sooooo GORGEOUS! A must make! Time to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I initially saw this on "I Am Baker" and thought it was amazing. You've done a superb job with the colors and the roses ~ I applaud you! I haven't tried making the roses yet but I am certainly tempted now. You are so very talented!

    I love the idea of sharing 3 things about the person ~ very thoughtful and meaningful.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW!!!! The cake is beautiful and the various shades of pink are stunning. All the little roses are gorgeous. I have just got to try this recipe. Thanks for the great instuctions. I know your girlfriend was thrilled to have such a special day with friends. I think that is a sweet idea to verbalize three things you love about her. I know she will cherish the little cards forever. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Katherine S.

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG, Jacqueline, you wow'ed me with this creation. I can't wait to try it for a special occasion in my family. The cake is simply stunning. Who wouldn't love to receive this on a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  40. An amazingly beautiful cake and a precious way to celebrate a birthday! Such fun stopping in to visit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my, what a gorgeous cake! That's the prettiest thing I've seen in ages! I bet it was delightful to taste too. Happy Pink Saturday and enjoy your weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, this is so beautiful. I would have difficulty cutting into this, although it does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  43. When I saw that pink cake, I just knew it was you! I'm pinning this one! What a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, this may be one of the prettiest cakes I have ever seen. Love the different layers and the gorgeous roses!!! What a SWEET surprise for your friend. Love the idea of writing down 3 things you love about someone. I will have to start that tradition. Better late than never I always say:):) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  45. what a special friend you are! that is one gorgeous cake.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my gosh, that is GORGEOUS! That would make a beautiful wedding cake. You are so very talented. :-)

    HPS!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a wonderful tutorial. I just bought a 2D tip and made cupcakes for Valentine's. I have seem these cakes on Pinterest and have been planning to make one. Your tutorial cake at the most perfect time. I've pinned it so I have it close at hand. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow! This is really a piece of art! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a beautiful gift . I think the birthday girl was very happy with this work of art and love.
    Happy pink Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a gorgeous cake! Oh my goodness, it is beautiful! The layers are wonderful and the frosting of roses is out of this world! Gorgeous!
    Happy birthday to your friend.
    I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm impressed and ready to try myself! Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh my, such a gorgeous cake! It would be perfect for a small wedding too! And the layers -- it just looks so delicious! Lucky Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Happy Pink Saturday Jacqueline Sweetie...
    What a gorgeous and yummy share today. Your cake turned out beautifully and I can't thank you enough for the little tutorial and recipe shares along the way. I love the way you colored the cake tri, it looked so pretty sliced and laying on the plate.

    Those roses are just perfect. The colors looked so pretty and your friend is so darn lucky.

    How wonderful to share 3 things each of you loved about your friend. I think we may start a new tradition in my family as well.

    Have a glorious weekend sweet friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  54. I hope I have such thoughtful friends around when I turn 50! Gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  55. As always, what you do is fantastic! I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Spectacular job with that cake.. I had no idea it was ombre within too@@@

    ReplyDelete
  57. Absolutely inspirational treat for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I saw a cake similar to this on pinterest and thought it was so gorgeous...but yours is even more so (no surprise there). I am sure your friend loved this. I want one when I turn 50 too! Please!

    I've been looking over some of your recipes...the bunny bottom cupcakes are also just the cutest ever!

    Happy Easter to you and your family!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  59. I saw a cake similar to this on pinterest and thought it was so gorgeous...but yours is even more so (no surprise there). I am sure your friend loved this. I want one when I turn 50 too! Please!

    I've been looking over some of your recipes...the bunny bottom cupcakes are also just the cutest ever!

    Happy Easter to you and your family!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  60. I'm thinking of trying this cake for my daughter's first birthday because it's just so beautiful and I have a few questions because I've never really made a cake like this before. Is it possible to make it (and ice it) a day ahead of time and put it in the fridge uncovered? Will it all dry out?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi, can you please tell me how much, at least approximately, would that cake weigh? I am supposed to have a 13 pound wedding cake and I'm wondering if it would look dumb not to have tiers and instead have this because I absolutely loved it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the highlight of my day! Leave a comment and then I can come and visit your blog. Have a wonderful day! Unfortunately I have had to block anonymous comments, hope you understand.

Follow me on Instagram