Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drewcilla Rides Again


I'd like to introduce you to Drewcilla.
Every October 1st Drewcilla gets hoisted
up on an 18 foot pole and she rides her
bicycle during the evening hours to the
joy (and sometimes trembling) of all of the
neighborhood kids.


Drewcilla is not a particularly attractive woman.



But she does have a feminine side and she really wanted
a makeover this year to show her more feminine and
sassy side.



She was wearing a green wool blazer with a spider
web cape and a black lace ruffled skirt.
She felt that all of the dark colors didn't show
off well in the dark of night and were drab.


We removed the drab blazer and underneath
she was sporting a layered look with a
lime green turtleneck and orange satiny
blouse.



Going with this color scheme we added a shiny
new orange metallic cape, a purple vest

And a flowing multi fabric overskirt in coordinating
colors of lime green, orange and purple.

The purple and black stockings were new last
year,



As well as her stunning purple feathered hat.
She has a big smile on her face as she
received her wardrobe makeover.
She asked for an "extreme makeover" but
it just wasn't in the family budget.



Here I am giving her one final hug before she
gets hoisted up for her month long ride.



Don't be afraid Drewcilla, you have been doing
this for years and years now.



Drew (on the left) is actually her creator.  He is a family
friend and employee.  He had created a similar bicycling
witch and when my husband saw her, he just had to have
Drew make him one.  His buddy Wayne always comes
to help set her up and take her down at the end of the
month.



It is quite a chore to get her up on top of her pole.



Here she is all up and pedaling,



And enjoying the blue hour.

She gives tons of entertainment.  People come from
miles around to see her pedal in the night sky.  She
told me she would like some music to pedal to,
something like that music the witch rides her bike
to on the Wizard of Oz.  Maybe next year Drewcilla!

I will be posting this on

and




Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Chocolat - French for Chocolate. I adored chocolate from a young age when I had to sneak in the cupboard to find where my mother had hidden the Nestle's Chocolate Chips. Having read about the famous chocolat shoppes in Paris, when I finally got there I was determined to try a chocolate from every Paris shoppe. I invite you to share my adventures in creating, in travel, and in life.

26 comments:

  1. Oh! I just love love this! I am decorating for Halloween right now! What a spectacular idea!! Did you make her yourself? How do you put her up? Do you mind if I copy? How do you run the electric to her spotlight? Please post a photo of her in the dark too!!! Thanks so much for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this. her new garb is wonderful. This is a wonderful idea... wow..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Drewcilla loves her new look! I would love to be able to see her pedaling her bike in the moonlight.

    There's never a dull moment at your house:) BTW, it was good to "see" you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline -- Drewcilla looks fab in her new clothes --- she is a stunner! She deserved some new clothes -- all that bicycle riding! See you tomorrow. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Such a fabulous idea! I really like it and bet the neighborhood kids love her too! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool ! I do like her new makeover - much more fun !!!!!!
    thanks for sharing,
    gena
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool ! I do like her new makeover - much more fun !!!!!!
    thanks for sharing,
    gena
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I just love her and she looks so much like me. I MUST have a twin out there! Thank you so much for becoming a follower. I hope I can be successful at this. It is all so new.

    I will be traveling to Paris on the 27th and I am looking forward to those chocolats. There is a Travel Advisory out from the State Dept. We are going anyway.I will let you know when we get back.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how cool is this! I wish South Africa was up and about with "Fun Holidays".
    Have a great week!
    Shel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Acccccchhhhhh!! you know.....their is a strange woman on your blog !!!!!!....lovely new week darling love Ria......!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drewcilla is absolutely fabulous! I adore her new wardrobe. She kinda reminds me of one of my neighbours. Do ya think she can peddle all the way across the Canadian border during the night?
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much fun! She looks fab and I'm sure she's enjoyed by everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drewcilla is over the top, and I can only imagine the responses to seeing her on her perch. Thanks for your visit and for taking the time to write something I enjoyed reading and gave some insight to you.(:

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are fun! Drewcilla is quite the clothes horse - she's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting my blog. I don't feel quite as bad about the frozen turkey anymore. I'm so impressed with Drewcilla! Love her bright new orange blouse & cape

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay girl- we all want directions!! A how-to post please!! This is adorable!!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh.my.goodness. i need one of my very own!! lol, that is so fantastic, and i very much love her makeover!

    thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for your awesome comment! that rat is actually fuzzy, so he's not too creepy. the tail has a loop, and i figured why not just hook 'em up? it's better than getting out the glue stick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drewcilla looks pretty elegant and sassy too! That hat is to die for. I love those mountains in the background. How nice to wake up to that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, that is seriously the best halloween decoration I have ever seen. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How great! The new clothes do show up more. I think she is wonderful and kids in town must love knowing that when she shows up...Halloween isn't far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the new wardrobe- all of that pedaling deserves a make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh...I love this...what a great tradition! I bet people in your neighborhood look forward to her going up every year. I know some years I don't feel too much like putting all my Halloween stuff out. But last year I came home to kids standing in my front yard waiting for me to turn all the Halloween lights on and I realized that people do look forward to it and you just have to do it whether your heart is in it that year or not.

    That said...I need to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YOU ROCK!!!! This is the most over the top, awesome, decoration ever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG.....Drewcilla is adorable! I wish I lived in your neighborhood so I could see her In all her glory! Her new outfit is just perfect. She has a great stylist. You are so creative with all of the fun things you do.
    Let the magic begin!
    Katherine H

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG........Drewcilla is wonderful. I wish I lived in your neighborhood so I could see her at night. Her new outfit is so colorful and stylish! You are soooooooo creative with all you do.
    Let the magic begin!
    Katherine S.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the highlight of my day! Leave a comment and then I can come and visit your blog. Have a wonderful day! Unfortunately I have had to block anonymous comments, hope you understand.

Follow me on Instagram