Monday, May 6, 2013

Say Hello To Seoul - Our Missionary Son



My youngest son received his mission call to
Seoul, South Korea.  Young men in the LDS
church go on a two year mission when they
reach the age of 18-19.  They save to help
pay the expenses for their missions starting 
when they are just little boys.

They apply to go on a mission and when they
receive their mission call it can be anywhere in
the world.

All of their family and friends gather when
they receive their mission call in the mail.

Chase's best friend was called to Vancouver
speaking Korean so when Chase opened his
call, they were both nearly in tears that they
would have the Korean language in common.

Imagine our surprise when he read the date
he was to enter the Missionary Training Center
and it was the same day as our daughter's wedding!

Panic set in but she eventually agreed to change
her wedding one day forward.

You can imagine how crazy busy we are
now trying to get a wedding planned and
executed and a missionary off 
(not to mention that one week later we are
in charge of a youth Pioneer Trek for
over 200 people!!)

Missionaries purchase and pack
everything they will need for two years - two
suits, four pairs of slacks, 12 white shirts, 6-8
ties, three pairs of heavy duty dress shoes (as
they will be walking most of that two years), etc.
so we are running around like crazy trying to
get that done along with his Visa, immunizations,
pictures, and..........

(Kim Chee Stew)

It is great fun trying to guess where the boys will be
called so we offered a prize - everyone was to guess
a state and a country and whoever was the
closest would go out to dinner with Chase and
us to a place that represented that country.

His best friend who speaks Korean guessed not only
the country but the exact mission so we went out
for Korean food.

(Japchae)

Korean food often has a soy and brown sugar base
so everything was delicious.  I loved this clear
noodle dish the best.  It was really tasty with 
the hint of brown sugar.

(Pork Bulgogi)

This Pork Bulgogi had a bit of fire to it which I
really loved.

(Beef Bulgogi)

The Beef Bulgogi is one of their most popular dishes
and is served with lettuce leaves, almost like 
lettuce wraps.  Chase's friend chose all of 
the dishes and each of them were delightful.


It was my first time eating at a Korean
restaurant.  They eat with stainless steel chopsticks
and a long handled soup spoon for the 
stews and soups.  The sticky rice
had little seeds or beans in it.  It was a fun and
delightful dining experience.

I definitely want to give some of these
recipes a try.

My Korean friend Abby asked if Chase was OK
with strong smells.  I said he had gone to China
with his father on a business trip and loved
it.  She said he would do fine then.  He certainly
loves Oriental food.

We are so proud of him and haven't even worried
with all of the trouble in North Korea.  We know
he will be in the Lord's hands as he spreads
the Gospel of Jesus Christ.



Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Chocolat - French for Chocolate. I adored chocolate from a young age when I had to sneak in the cupboard to find where my mother had hidden the Nestle's Chocolate Chips. Having read about the famous chocolat shoppes in Paris, when I finally got there I was determined to try a chocolate from every Paris shoppe. I invite you to share my adventures in creating, in travel, and in life.

23 comments:

  1. What a handsome son:) And his face shines of goodness..
    You have a beautiful ..filled life..
    It's so nice to watch..

    Go for it busy girl:) The wedding will be amazing.
    Love our blessings..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your son. Wishing him all the best in his mission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your son's commitment to his church that makes him willing to do this. It sounds like it is also a family commitment as evidenced by your daughter's willingness to change her wedding date. It sounds like you are wonderful parents with a wonderful family. Good luck to all of you as you prepare for these big events to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just arrived home. Need to finish dinner. But wanted to say how happy I am for you and for your son's choice of living. Because it is so much more than your Faith, isn't it?

    Somehow I missed what your religion was but I can't praise enough all I've met.

    More after on your family's beautiful soul.

    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and best wishes to your HANDSOME son as he embarks on this new phase of his life. Your daugher is very generous to change her wedding date. You all will be VERY busy now. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqueline, our prayers will be with him and your family- what a wonderful commitment. Allie has an LDS friend at school who is leaving for his mission in 3 weeks- she's so proud of him too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband just got our mission call. We will be serving in the Tennessee, Nashville Mission. To us that will be a foreign country. We are from Oregon and never have traveled past Utah and Co.orado! Good luck to your son and family. He will do great I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When it rains, it pours..even for family happenings. So glad the wedding could be moved and congratulations to your son for receiving his mission with happiness.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqueline, this is an exciting year for your family. Congratulations to Chase. Will look forward to seeing all the photos for your daughter's wedding celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your son. He certainly is a fine looking young man. His life will be forever changed from this adventure that he is about to embark upon. What a wonderful Blessing!! I will most definitely add him to my prayer box as I pray for God to use him abundantly and to keep him safe.
    Sure looks like some great food there.
    I know you all are so very busy, but you are such a talented lady and I know that all will be just perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a life-changing two years these will be for your son. Congratulations to him, and to you and his father for raising a son who is ready to do this work.
    You will have your plate full for the next little while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to your handsome son, Chase. It will be a wonderful experience and a lovely way to share the Gospel. Your daughter is a real gem to change her wedding date.
    Yummy food as usual Jacqueline....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, another thing hit me and I couldn't return yesterday.

    I'm so happy for you. And for him. These experiences are priceless, even more when you're doing it within something you trust and believe.

    Korea is so foreign to me that I had to check which was which ;). I wish him a successful trip and stay there.

    So so Happy for you. What a Magical Year you all are living.

    Wishing Chase all the good things that enrich life, during this new venture.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jacqueline, Best wishes to your son as he sets out on his journey and also to your daughter who changed her wedding date! My husband was in Seoul on 9/11, having just flown in for a business meeting. He could not get to the American Embassy or a flight home of course, but the Korean people were so kind and welcoming to him for those four days. Your son has such an interesting and exciting two years coming up! I always love to talk to the LDS kids who come to our door. We have a large church here, and the kids are so sweet, sometimes even homesick, and they just want to talk and help. You must be so proud. Congratulations to your entire family! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Showers of blessings in your world. It is all so wonderful. Thank you for always sharing your joy with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know you guys must be just bustin' your buttons with pride...and with good reason! What a noble and wonderful experience for your son to take on!!! Great idea to go to the Korean restaurant, too. You'll have some idea of what he's talking about when he calls/writes/Tweets about the food there in Korea. I didn't know the Koreans eat with stainless chopsticks. I have a set of 14, and they are my preferred chopstick. More of a "fork & knife" feel to them in my hand. I don't think I've ever eaten authentic Korean food (I'm not terribly adventurous when it comes to food), but it looks good!

    Blessings and good wishes to your son! (I saw the President of South Korea on the "CBS Evening News" last night, and she's one tough cookie. I think your son is in good hands with that chick at the helm!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. May God Bless him and keep him safe as he spreads the Faith of Our Lord. What a wonderful son you have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a handsome young man. I have often wondered how these young men go off and do this work for two years so unselfishly and how you as parents "give them up" for that time. I guess when that is how you are raised from childhood is seems like the norm, but to those of us who aren't exposed to it...it seems like such an unselfish act and very mature at that age. I'm sure he will do wonderful work and have lots of stories to share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to your son! A family is so blessed when they have a missionary serving:) Our son went to the Philippines, and I thought he would starve because he went as a very picker eater, but he returned loving the food and everything else. He met a Filipino girl at BYUH and married her:) Good luck with the wedding and the trek too...you are one busy woman!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sue, it seems unselfish and mature to me too and it is hard to give them up. It is even more unselfish when they earn all the money themselves. It costs $400 a month for each missionary. It is wonderful to see him sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Theresa, I had to check it out too! He was just across the water when he was in China.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to your son and to everything else that is going on in your life! You sound very busy these days! Also, your son's friend will LOVE Vancouver! It is a fabulous city! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a good-looking young man, Jacqueline! I'm so glad your daughter was able to change her wedding date so he could be there...sometimes that isn't the easiest thing to do.

    I'm sure you will miss him but what a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the highlight of my day! Leave a comment and then I can come and visit your blog. Have a wonderful day! Unfortunately I have had to block anonymous comments, hope you understand.

Follow me on Instagram