Thursday, September 23, 2010

DC Cupcakes



Dan Brown in his recent novel, The Lost Symbol mentions
that many Americans travel the globe to see the capitols
of other nations yet have never visited their own.

Guilty!

I have great friends who live there, and have been wanting
me to come for years.  Well, I finally made it.

I took my oldest daughter with me.  Our first night we enjoyed
the blue hour while viewing our fabulous Capitol.
I had no idea it was so huge.
Speaking of huge,


Mount Vernon, George Washington's home and estate which
consisted of 8,000 acres.  This was my favorite tourist site
which we visited.  They have a movie presentation during
which it actually snows on you, not confetti but little
flakes of ice that melt when they land on your skin.

 

Also, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints'
Temple, which seems bigger than the temple in Salt Lake City.
As you come upon this huge edifice on the freeway
it literally stops traffic.


And the National Cathedral, another huge and
gorgeous building.  My favorite part of this was
the quiet and wonderful Bishop's Garden from which
this picture was taken.




Now, let's talk about one of the most important parts of travel
for me - food.  Look at the huge line outside of
Georgetown Cupcakes.



They now have their own show on TLC called DC Cupcakes.

Talk about HUGE, what a selection, and this was after 8:00 pm.

How about their huge pink menu filled with fabulous flavors
by the day?



They were still whipping them out.



Fresh flowers on each table and how about that cool pink
box to take them home in.



We chose six of them.  How do you like that pink lemon berry
cupcake?



This one had a cute heart shaped out of fondant that was
dusted with a pearl dust. 

We had the chance to attend the Library of Congress on
September 17, where they were celebrating the 223rd
birthday of the Constitution.



This was such an ornate and fabulous building.

I


They were serving birthday cakes with a replica
of the Constitution printed on the top of the cakes.
  One was red, one white and one
blue.  These were made by Red Velvet.

So we had to go there too.

Though their store was much smaller and their displays
very simple, we preferred their cupcakes.  They were
moister and more flavorful.  I would show a picture
of theirs, but the box got tipped on the way home
so they weren't pretty anymore.


These are our red velvet cupcakes that we made this
summer.

How do you sum up Washington DC in a small post?




It was wonderful and beautiful and flavorful.

It was great to be a foodie in Washington DC.

A big thanks to Rachel and Sarah for hosting us and
being our fabulous food guides.

I will be posting this on

and

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Chocolat - French for Chocolate. I adored chocolate from a young age when I had to sneak in the cupboard to find where my mother had hidden the Nestle's Chocolate Chips. Having read about the famous chocolat shoppes in Paris, when I finally got there I was determined to try a chocolate from every Paris shoppe. I invite you to share my adventures in creating, in travel, and in life.

27 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip! I'm sure you both had a great time, the cupcakes look TDF:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a wonderful reminder of our great country. Glad the food was so good! Those cupcakes are going to haute me. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been there in a long time Jackie- it may be time to plan a trip. I often wonder about the actual quality of the goods from those TV shows. A cousin of mine ordered a ckae from the Cake Boss bakery and was so disappointed- said it tasted like dry cardboard
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline -- thanks for the cupcake and picture tour of DC. I haven't been there in a long time but I loved it. I do like the displays of cupcakes at DC Cupcakes and their pink box! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a firm believer that travel and cupcakes go hand in hand! I haven't been to Washington since I was a kid, I do want to get back now that I would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you paired up DC and a foodie event with such a masterful stroke. Your images of our capital look so beautiful. I love to visit DC, my daughterand her husband live there... 17 blocks from the capital. Next time I visit, we will have to make a trip to Georgetown Cupcake. The cupcake looks so very upscale! I love their bright sassy boxes!
    What a wonderful blog and post.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's so much to see in D.C.- those cupcakes look yummy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The box with the six DC Cupcakes looks so delicious - but I think the red velvet ones you made look even yummier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DC is filled with so much history. AND fabulous restaurants!!! I also have friends that live in the DC area and they have told me about Georgetown cupcakes. It was fun to see your pictures so now I know what they are raving about.

    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love visiting DC...used to go frequently when I lived in Philadelphia. There is nothing like visiting the museums...all that history!

    These cupcakes look divine. Wish I could TASTE them...
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun trip you had! I was only eleven when I went to Washington D.C. with my family, but we saw everything and I remember it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jacqueline - thanks for visiting my blog! Your trip to DC looks like it was very successful -- brings back memories from when I went as a teenager. I love the pictures of the sights, as well as of the cupcakes! Gorgeous.

    Erin
    www.ekatskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Washington is one of the most beautiful cities in our country, and so cosmopolitan...great restaurants, bars, etc. I went to school in Virginia so came to know DC like the back of my hand. I still catch my breath every single time I see Arlington National Cemetary. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. O, my...what a wonderful trip. I would love to see our capitol..it looks so beautiful...
    and next...
    I WANNA CUPCAKE, right now, with a cold glass of milk and it is 12:45 a.m.....woe is me..
    Now, I have to check out your raspberry pie-ettes....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes that pink is great !!!! bring over to here.......hahahhahah!! nice post !!! thanks for sharing.......love Ria....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are adorable!! I love the toppings they put on the cupcakes. You have me completely desiring cupcakes at 7:30 AM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you got to see the capital it is quite an experience. Love all the pictures especially the food ones. Thanks for the compliments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those cupcakes are incredible!!! They are so charming and pretty! I'll definitely have to check them out the next time I'm in the area. I am also a foodie- I love discovering new places.

    ashleyanderic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh oh oh.....mmmm they look luscious, looks like a great place to visit, we have never been to that part of the country...yet. I am going to look around here...a few things caught my stomach, I mean eye.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I have friends that live in DC too ~ and such incredible opportunities to try different foods, etc. These cupcakes are gorgeous.

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jacqueline!

    Oh wow ...my son went to college in Washington DC so we visited that fascinating city often, but that was before the cupcake craze! Next time we go I'll look for Red Velvet and Georgetown Cupcakes. Your photos are all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My sister lives there and it's always a huge treat to see all the sites. Your pictures and all the cupcakes are divine. I'm glad I can only look at them, cause I'm afraid I'd be embarrassed (oink) they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Pink Saturday. My brother used to live on E street NE and we visited him often. The city is so vibrant and I enjoyed the trip down my Memory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Washington, DC is one of my favorite cities to visit!! Mount Vernon was so interesting. There's so much to see.

    Oh the cupcake shop would have been the highlight! I watched the show once and couldn't really get into it. Maybe I should try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a fun trip! The DC cupcakes look amazing. I've always wanted to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't been to DC since I was 12. I'd love to back as a full grown foodie and experience it all over again. So nice for you to see it with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the highlight of my day! Leave a comment and then I can come and visit your blog. Have a wonderful day! Unfortunately I have had to block anonymous comments, hope you understand.

Follow me on Instagram